• English
  • Deutsch
  • Polski

Church of Sts. Catherine

The oldest parish church in the Old Town, called Matrona Loci (mother churches or mother in the city), built between 1227-1239 by the foundation Dantzig-Pomeranian princes and greatly expanded in the XIV century. Until 1944 the church depicting the historic furnishings of Gothic, Mannerist and Baroque. In 1945 it was destroyed. Currently monument has been completely restored. Inside we see the paintings by Anton Möller and Isaac van den Blocke. Here is a tomb and epitaph of the famous astronomer Johannes Hevelius.
At the 76 - meter high church tower is beautifully sounding carillon. The church tower is a resident of Tower Clocks Museum.

Church of Sts. Catherine